The Federation of BC Writers will follow the recommendations of the BC Department of Health notifications concerning the coronavirus in moving forward with Spring Writes. If we need to cancel or move to another date we will immediately notify all registrants.
Spring Writes brings writers of all stripes to Gibsons April 24th to 26th to read, to write and just to listen. As writers, we spend far too much time in the closet scribbling on notepads, banging away on computers and generally not talking to anyone but our muse.
At the end of this long winter, Spring Writes draws us out of our closets and into the lengthening days to gather and exchange the work of the winter.
This year Spring Writes offers attendees the option of taking individual workshops a la carte or to purchase a Gold Pass, which allows the individual to full access to attend any workshop, have a one-on-one meeting with an editor/agent, and attend the Saturday night Spring Writes dinner.
Gold Pass holders must decide if they want to attend a Workshop Intensive (sign up for it when they purchase the Gold Pass) or if they want to attend the Short Workshops offered all day Saturday and Sunday.
Every Gold Pass holder has a seat at the dinner. Every Gold Pass holder can have a one-on-one meeting with an editor/agent.
At the same time, attendees may choose to simply take one or two sessions a la carte that directly speak to their particular craft. And maybe attend the Spring Writes dinner after the AGM.
For those that choose the Gold Pass the savings are substantial.
For those that choose a la carte, the cost may be minimal.
Join us for Spring Writes in Gibsons, April 24-25, 2020.
- 7PM Opening Reception at Gibsons Art Gallery
Saturday: (We have the Gibsons Market Cascade Room all day)
- 9-1 Workshop Intensives (6 to 8 sessions. See below.)
- 9-10:45 Short Session 1 (two sessions)
- 11-1 Short Session 2 (two sessions)
- 2-4 Short Session 3 (two sessions)
- 5-6 AGM
- 6-7 Social Hour
- 7-on Dinner
Sunday: (We have the Cascade Room from noon on)
- 9-1 Workshop Intensives (6 to 8 sessions. See below.)
- 9-10:45 Short Session 4 (two sessions)
- 11-1 Short Session 5 (two sessions)
- 2-4 Short Session 6 (two sessions)
- 4-5 Closing readings and sharing.
For the first time, Spring Writes will offer two-day intensive workshops. Limited to eight writers, each group will meet Saturday and Sunday morning from 9AM to 1 PM. With subjects ranging from The Poem, to Marketing Your Self-Published Book, to Pacing and Proximity, to The Memoir, there is a session for everyone.
Due to the schedule of the Workshop Intensives, participants will only be able to attend the afternoon Short Workshops.
If a participant purchases a Gold Pass ($150 for members), this includes one Workshop Intensive ($120), access to two afternoon Short Workshops ($70), a meeting with an editor/agent ($25) and the Spring Writes dinner ($35) for a savings of $100 over the individual a la carte tuition.
Sign up at registration for your Workshop Intensives to be assured of a spot. At only eight per session, each will fill quickly.
- Letterpress—The Broadside
- The Craft of Memoir Writing--From Start to Finish—Darrel McLeod
- Self-Publishing Electronic Manuscript Boot Camp—Barb Drozdowich (Fed Board member)
- Self-Publishing Marketing Bootcamp—Bill Arnott
- The Poem—Jane Munro
- Proximity and Pacing in Fiction/Non-Fiction-- Betsy Warland
- Overcoming Our Fears, Fiction/Non-Fiction—Gail Anderson-Dargatz
- The Blog, building relevance in today’s crowded blog-o-sphere—Adam Olsen
Workshop Intensives Info & Registration »
Saturday and Sunday are filled with Short Workshops, two groups in the morning and one group in the afternoon. These sessions range from Eco-Poetry, to Memoir, to the Haiku, to Overcoming our Fears in Writing. There is literally a session for everyone. There are over twelve individual sessions to pick from.
Attendees have two options with the Short Workshops.
The first, a la carte. Pick the session you want, one, or two, and only pay for that session. Simple.
Or buy a Gold Pass ($150 members) and attend a workshop in each of the six sessions ($210), meet with an editor/agent ($25) and attend the Spring Writes dinner ($35) for a savings of $130 over the a la carte.
The choice is yours.
- Poetry and Ecology: finding new metaphors for a changing world -Yvonne Blomer(Cont. 1&2)
- Master Your Point of View—Jennifer Manuel Info & Registration »
- TBA--Jenifer Manuel--
- Overcoming Our Fears to Write Powerful Stories--Gail Anderson-Dargatz Info & Registration »
- Everything You Want to Know about Book Publishing and What It Takes to Create a Great Book-- Craig Shemilt Info & Registration »
- Travel, Memoir, Advocacy: “Setting Things Straight in Creative Nonfiction--Trevor Carolan Info & Registration »
Your registration package will have a schedule of free readings around the Gibsons community during Spring Writes.
Please consult the schedule to fill your extra time with the words of our guest readers.
Pricing & Registration
The Gold Pass offers attendees access to all Spring Writes workshops, a one-on-one meeting with an editor/agent and a seat at the Spring Writes dinner at a single price at a substantial savings.
For those attending a Workshop Intensive, the combined savings is $100.
For those attending only the Short Workshops, the combined savings is $130.
Our intent is to offer folks the broadest of options. Pick and choose. Or take in the full monte.
Includes one WI ($120, if desired), all access to Short Sessions (At $35 each, $210), one meeting with an editor or publisher ($25), social hour and dinner ticket ($35.).
Includes one WI ($145, if desired), all access to Short Sessions (At $45 each, $270), one meeting with an editor or publisher ($35), social hour and dinner ticket ($45.).
Register for Gold Pass
A La Carte
With the broad selection of workshops, some writers may want to concentrate on only a couple of sessions, then enjoy the readings, the informal gatherings and simply revel in the company of other writers for three days.
For those folks, Spring Writes offers the a la carte option. Pick and choose only the session(s) exactly meets your needs. One workshop. Or two. Join us for the Spring Writes dinner. Or not.
The choice is all yours.
It is a la carte.
- Member: $120
- Non-Member: $145
- Member: $35
- Non-Member: $45
- Member: $25
- Non-Member: $35
Readings Free to all
Reception Free to all, No Host bar.
Memberships at event, 25% off
First 50 signing up receive cotton swag bag.
Early Bird ends April 1, 2020
Rates will rise substantially after April 1, 2020